Jakub Merle: TEST OF THE LIGHT SOFTSHELL KILPI BALANS-M JACKET
14. 09. 2021
Jakub Merle prepared a review of the light outdoor Kilpi BALANS-M jacket.
Test of the Kilpi BALANS-M lightweight softshell jacket
I see the jacket as JOSHUA-M's successor! For me personally, the Joshua has long been a TOP jacket for all outdoor pleasure and I basically spent 70% of all activities in it! I was impressed by the cut, workmanship and high durability of the material with sufficient strength and elasticity!
The BALANS-M is a little under the shadow of its big brother but do not worry about it failing in the market!
Craftsmanship at a glance:
- Precision and high-quality
- Solid material
- Extended zipper puller in the neck area
- Great sleeve cuffs with thumb holes
- Adequately large zippered pockets
The jacket under a microscope:
- On the first wear I was surprised by the chest area, size M is quite narrow
- The sleeves are long enough for cycling or cross-country skiing when a really large range of movement is needed
- The zipper slider in the neck area is protected and does not scratch
- The locks on the lower elastic (at the waist) = insufficient - instead of silicone I would opt for a classic, with a spring = better maintains the setting and adjustability
- The hood with a visor is a cool thing! I managed to get my ski helmet into it, too!
- The jacket is solid, it doesn't bounce when running and the feeling of the jacket on during movement is fine!
- No movement restrictions.
- Pocket ventilation works.
- The only problem I have when I run is the collar after the zipper is fully zipped on the jacket. This often irritates me, the bumping of the zipper into my larynx and so I have to open the zipper so it can be tolerated.
- Very solid range of motion!
- The back extended length covers well.
- Riding my MTB in the forest (thick growth), there are nil defects on the material and when passing through thorns no tears!
- Material durability and stability 100%
- Movement without restriction.
- High material endurance thus no abrasion on sandstone.
- The only limit of the jacket is the hood - it is dangerous when climbing - but it is not a climbing jacket - just an observation I have made.
- All good, no problem.
The jacket surprised me with how well it resists water! I didn't expect it to withstand such a load during three hours of heavy rain, but it eventually began to be drenched, which didn't bother me, since I know how SIBERIUM SRC WB works! Even so, I am not afraid to place the waterproof values around 3000!
The Kilpi BALANS-M jacket is unquestionably a super companion for all outdoor activities!
The feedback from the sale of this jacket is clear: it is a very good item of clothing and its value is greatly under rated for the money paid!
Jakub MerleJakub Merle